Capitol Connection Q&A for Contractors - Week of March 13, 2023

  • /sites/default/files/styles/cover/public/cover/random/2017-11/cover-pic-02.jpg?h=afa3cfa7&itok=QvEihQ2y
  • /sites/default/files/styles/cover/public/cover/random/2017-11/cover-pic-03.jpg?h=452f395a&itok=o2eJpQ1X
  • /sites/default/files/styles/cover/public/cover/random/2017-11/cover-pic-04.jpg?h=d85646e8&itok=e-zcRWuw
  • /sites/default/files/styles/cover/public/cover/random/2017-11/cover-pic-05.jpg?h=eb90c5f1&itok=fmftIU1H
  • /sites/default/files/styles/cover/public/cover/random/2017-11/cover-pic-06.jpg?h=f8567693&itok=OYoPjORc

By Shauna Krause, President, Capitol Services, Inc.


Get set, get ready, go? A contractor seeks a party of the second part, and I guide a NV applicant over some of the increasingly rocky road on the way to General…


Q: We received the approval for our Qualifier to schedule the exams, which is great, but he isn’t ready just yet to take them. You had provided some study materials to him which he hasn’t had a chance to spend much time with, so he wants to do that before scheduling. In the meantime, we received his fingerprint request forms. Should he just follow the instructions for the out-of-state applicant to get that out of the way, or does he need to take the tests first?


A: Completing the live scan fingerprints in the State of California is the most efficient way to satisfy the fingerprint requirement. Since he is required to come here to CA to take the exams, he should just bring his live scan with him and complete it when he’s here. Two birds, one stone!


Q: I have a question about 7057(b), the second part, which states a general building contractor shall not take a subcontract involving trades other than framing or carpentry, unless the subcontract requires at least two unrelated trades or crafts other than framing or carpentry, or unless the general building contractor holds the appropriate license classification. 


The question that I have is, can a ‘B’ contractor take two unrelated trades, but then subcontract one of the trades to another specialty contractor and then perform the second trade, even though the ‘B’ contractor does not have the appropriate specialty classification for that second trade?


A: According the CSLB interpretation of BPC 7057, a “B” contractor may take a prime contract for two or more trade and subcontract or self-perform only one trade. However, a “B” contractor taking a subcontract must self-perform the contracted work (which must include two or more unrelated trades).


Q: We have applied for a “B-2” contractor license in Nevada. We submitted an application over two months ago and our Qualifier has yet to be approved to sit for the exams. The NV Board has rejected his work experience twice now. We are at a loss as to what to do to get the license. He is our most qualified employee and has over 15 years of experience doing construction.


A: You are not alone! It has become increasingly difficult to qualify for the General licenses in Nevada. If your Qualifier does not have at least four years of experience building structures from the ground up, from foundation to finish you may need a different route. Please give my office a call and I would be happy to discuss this with you. You may end up needing to apply for a more specialized class or classifications.


While knowledge is power, knowing where to go for the answers is half the battle. Get expert assistance immediately when you call 866-443-0657, email, or write us at Capitol Services, Inc., 3609 Bradshaw Rd, Ste H, #343, Sacramento, CA 95827. Search past columns at