Capitol Connection Q&A for Contractors - Week of June 13, 2022

  • /sites/default/files/styles/cover/public/cover/random/2017-11/cover-pic-02.jpg?h=afa3cfa7&itok=QvEihQ2y
  • /sites/default/files/styles/cover/public/cover/random/2017-11/cover-pic-03.jpg?h=452f395a&itok=o2eJpQ1X
  • /sites/default/files/styles/cover/public/cover/random/2017-11/cover-pic-04.jpg?h=d85646e8&itok=e-zcRWuw
  • /sites/default/files/styles/cover/public/cover/random/2017-11/cover-pic-05.jpg?h=eb90c5f1&itok=fmftIU1H
  • /sites/default/files/styles/cover/public/cover/random/2017-11/cover-pic-06.jpg?h=f8567693&itok=OYoPjORc




By Shauna Krause, President, Capitol Services, Inc. 

I will ‘manufacture’ an either/or answer for a contractor and another complex contracts inquiry gets a ‘concrete’ solution… 

Q: We are an out of state Manufacturing/Supply company and we are looking to move into the CA market. We do not have a Contractor’s License, so we are wondering if we can provide a contract to supply and install the doors and windows to our customers and then we will send a licensed Contractor out to do the install. Does that scenario line up with the licensing rules in CA?  


A: As a Manufacturing/Supply company with no contractor’s license, you cannot include the installation of your materials in the contract. If you want to refer your customers to licensed contractors, that is fine, but the licensees will need to have a contract with the customer separate from yours for the installation of the product. If you want to be able to sign contracts for the installation as well, your company would need to obtain a Contractor’s License, which would allow you to either self-perform the installation, or sub-contract it out.   


Q: As you might recall, our company holds a class “A” (General Engineering) and “B” (General Building).  When we take a prime contract, we sometimes self-perform the framing, concrete and trim carpentry.  I’ve always understood that we can self-perform this work with a class “B” if it’s within our overall scope of work in our prime contracts with our clients.  However, we are also looking at doing this work as a sub-contractor. I’m not entirely clear based on 7057(b) whether we would need to obtain a “C-6” for the carpentry and a “C-8 “for the concrete, or if we are okay with the “B”. We can certainly pull these licenses if we need to, but I wanted to get your opinion before we do anything. 

A: The only one you should be concerned about self-performing is the concrete work. The rest you are good with doing. You cannot do strictly concrete work with the “B”, however you may be able to do it under you’re “A” License, BUT, an “A” contractor cannot act as a sub unless the work requires special engineering skills. So that would be the key for whether the concrete work is permitted with your current “A” & ”B” licensing. 

My recommendation is to just add the “C-8” classification so there is no question. I don’t see any reason why a “B” contractor would need a “C-6” in addition to the General Building license. 


While knowledge is power, knowing where to go for the answers is half the battle. Get expert assistance immediately when you call 866-443-0657, email, or write us at Capitol Services, Inc., 3609 Bradshaw Rd, Ste H, #343, Sacramento, CA 95827. Search past columns at