Capitol Connection Q&A for Contractors - Week of January 23, 2023

  • /sites/default/files/styles/cover/public/cover/random/2017-11/cover-pic-02.jpg?h=afa3cfa7&itok=QvEihQ2y
  • /sites/default/files/styles/cover/public/cover/random/2017-11/cover-pic-03.jpg?h=452f395a&itok=o2eJpQ1X
  • /sites/default/files/styles/cover/public/cover/random/2017-11/cover-pic-04.jpg?h=d85646e8&itok=e-zcRWuw
  • /sites/default/files/styles/cover/public/cover/random/2017-11/cover-pic-05.jpg?h=eb90c5f1&itok=fmftIU1H
  • /sites/default/files/styles/cover/public/cover/random/2017-11/cover-pic-06.jpg?h=f8567693&itok=OYoPjORc


By Shauna Krause, President, Capitol Services, Inc. 

You can never do what you won’t try. Expert advice, or a good coach, is a good start. Another contractor wants to run ‘hot and cold’ by getting a ‘little’ General. I wrap today with a question that’s basically all ‘wet’…

Q: I have been doing research on becoming a licensed contractor in CA and from what I’ve read I’m a bit nervous as to whether I will qualify and am hesitant to even try. My experience is all from working on my own homes BUT I have many homes that I have remodeled and flipped over the years. I have done lots of carpentry work, replacing doors/windows, some roofing, flooring, kitchen/bath remodels, etc. Will they accept pictures of my work as proof of experience?

A: The CSLB will absolutely not accept pictures as proof of work experience. For work performed on your own houses, some types of documentation you are going to be required to provide are permits you pulled for the work, material receipts, and copies of deeds/proof of sale. You can give me a call to discuss this further. 

Q: We are an out of State contractor and are trying to determine what type of license we need. We want to be able to contract for HVAC upgrades first and foremost. We will not self-perform any work; it will all be sub-contracted out. We initially were wanting a General License but then stopped when we read the qualifier needs to have experience doing framing. Now we are leaning towards a “B-2”. Even though we currentlyprimarily do HVAC work, we would like the option to do some plumbing and electrical upgrades and such. If we have someone with experience in multiple trades and can pass the exam for “B-2”, I just want to be sure we will be able to do what we are wanting to do. With a “B-2”, can we take a job for an HVAC upgrade and then sub-contract it to a properly licensed “C-20” (HVAC) contractor? If we decide to just go straight for the “C-20” license, can we still sub-contract the work to another HVAC contractor?

A: A “B-2” contractor is only permitted to take jobs that includes the use of at least three unrelated building trades for a single contract. Therefore, as a “B-2” contractor, you would not be permitted to take on a job for only an HVAC upgrade, unless the totality of the project included three unrelated trades. If you decide to apply for the “C-20” license, you are still able to sub-contract to another HVAC contractor. 

Q: What type of license is required for removing water damage from a residential property? I will not be doing any replacement of anything.

A: The most appropriate classification for water damage cleanup with no re-construction is the “C-61”/”D-64” Non Specialized classification. The CSLB will give it a name such as “Water Damage Remediation”.



While knowledge is power, knowing where to go for the answers is half the battle. Get expert assistance immediately when you call 866-443-0657, email, or write us at Capitol Services, Inc., 3609 Bradshaw Rd, Ste H, #343, Sacramento, CA 95827. Search past columns at