Capitol Connection Q&A for Contractors - Week of 4/29/2024

  • /sites/default/files/styles/cover/public/cover/random/2017-11/cover-pic-02.jpg?h=afa3cfa7&itok=QvEihQ2y
  • /sites/default/files/styles/cover/public/cover/random/2017-11/cover-pic-03.jpg?h=452f395a&itok=o2eJpQ1X
  • /sites/default/files/styles/cover/public/cover/random/2017-11/cover-pic-04.jpg?h=d85646e8&itok=e-zcRWuw
  • /sites/default/files/styles/cover/public/cover/random/2017-11/cover-pic-05.jpg?h=eb90c5f1&itok=fmftIU1H
  • /sites/default/files/styles/cover/public/cover/random/2017-11/cover-pic-06.jpg?h=f8567693&itok=OYoPjORc

By Shauna Krause, President, Capitol Services, Inc.

I start by ‘wrecking’ a contractor’s misconception, but we all learn from the answer. Another inquiry illustrates who can, and who can’t, sign for a corporate contractor and I find a way to give new ‘life’ to an RME whose status has changed…

Q: We currently have a “C-21” (Demolition) license and want to add the HAZ and Asbestos certifications to our license. Can we have a different employee take the exams for the HAZ and Asbestos certifications, or does it have to be the current Responsible Managing Officer (RMO)?

A: The individual must be an existing Qualifier holding a classification on the license they are adding it to. The HAZ and ASB certifications are not stand alone certifications.

Q: We have an incorporated General contractor’s license. When reviewing our list of Officers we saw that our previous “Board Chair” was on there listed as an Officer. We dissociated her when she left our Board of Directors, however we weren’t sure if we needed to add the current Board Chair to our license or not. I couldn’t find anything that said it was required to have that particular position on the license. Do you have any guidance there?

A: The CSLB’s rule is Corporations are only required to list their President, Secretary, and Treasurer on the contractor’s license. Any additional Officers that you have are optional. If you want them to have signing authority for the license and be able to communicate with the CSLB, you will want to add them. 

Q: We obtained our license about seven years ago with a Responsible Managing Employee (RME) who went through the testing and fingerprinting for our Company license. As you know, you helped us with putting one of our Officers on the license as the RMO, replacing our RME, and he was able to waive the testing requirement. The prior RME is still with our company but he is wondering if there is a way for him to keep his “license” active.

A: Your previous RME can obtain a sole owner license, or he can attach it to a corporation or LLC. From the date of his disassociation from your company, he has five years to attach his qualification to a license without having to re-test.

Q: As you aware, I passed my CA exams earlier this week and as soon as I provide the Qualifier bond I will be added to our Company license. I just noticed that you also handle Nevada. Can I apply for reciprocity and do the same thing on our Nevada license?

A: Nevada requires that you have been actively licensed as the Qualifying Individual for the previous four years in a reciprocal State. We can certainly do the same process in Nevada, but you will be required to document your experience and take and pass both the Law and Business exams.


While knowledge is power, knowing where to go for the answers is half the battle. Get expert assistance immediately when you call 866-443-0657, email, or write us at Capitol Services, Inc., 3609 Bradshaw Rd, Ste H, #343, Sacramento, CA 95827. Search past columns at